Just yesterday the Nigeria Police issued an alert to Nigerians using the Automated Teller Machine (ATM), particularly in the night, to be watchful as armed robbers have started pretending as ATM users in order to rob bank customers.
The NPF issued this alert on its website after an Abuja resident, a man, reportedly went to one of the banks in the FCT at about 12:10am on Thursday to withdraw money from an ATM.
The police reported that three young men pretending to also withdraw money from the ATM attacked the man.
However , the questions many people asked is , How can you avoid being a victim of violent ATM robbers?
15 Tips To Avoid Being Robbed When Using ATM In Lagos
1. Always pay close attention to the ATM and your surroundings. Don’t select an ATM at the corner of a building — corners create a blind spot. Use an ATM located near the center of a building. Do your automated banking in a public, well-lighted location.
2. Maintain an awareness of your surroundings throughout the entire transaction. Be wary of people trying to help you with ATM transactions. Be aware of anyone sitting in a parked car nearby. When leaving an ATM make sure you are not being followed. If you are, drive immediately to a police or to a crowded.
3.Do not use an ATM that appears unusual looking or offers options with which you are not familiar or comfortable.
4. Do not allow people to look over your shoulder as you enter your PIN. Memorize your PIN; never write it on the back of your card. Do not re-enter your PIN if the ATM eats your card — contact a bank official.
5. Do not wear expensive jewelry or take other valuables to the ATM. They may mistake you for a rich patron.
6.Never count cash at the machine or in public. Wait until you are in your car or a secure place.
7. When using a drive-up ATM, keep your engine running, your doors locked and leave enough room to maneuver between your car and the one ahead of you in the drive-up line.
8. Maintain a supply of deposit envelopes at home or in your car. Prepare all transaction paperwork prior to your arrival at the ATM. This will minimize the amount of time spent at the machine.
9. Closely monitor your bank statements, as well as your balances, and immediately report any problems to your bank.
10. If you are involved in a confrontation with an assailant who demands your money, COMPLY.
11. Don’t take commercial motorcycle to the bank or or asked the okada rider to wait for you infront of the bank..
12. Ladies , if you are to keep your money in the bag after withdrawing from the ATM machine , its good to hold your bag or firmly to avoid being robbed…
13. Don’t go to the Atm machine late at night, its dangerous or early in the morning like 4am especially for those that do go to work early in the morning.
14. Incase you don’t know how to use the ATM , the security at the bank will put you true , dont ask a stranger or someone you don,t know.
15. Be street wise and vigilant , because boys are not smiling..