Retrieve Back All the Lost Data of Offline Data File
What is new in version 4.3?
Version 4.3 added support for MS Outlook 2013.
Manufacturer – MS Outlook Tools
Category – Communications
Subcategory – Email Utilities
Operating System – Windows OS
- Installation of Outlook program is essential for OST file conversion in PST format.
- 20MB of free space on the conversion machine.
- 512MB sized or more of Random Access Memory.
- 1GHz or more processor frequency in the system.
File Size – 16.2MB
File Name – ost-recovery.exe
License Model – Free of cost trial
Limitations of Demo
- Only 25 email items per mail folder can be exported.
Cost – 99USD
Key Functionality of the Software
OST Recovery version 4.3, though the newest release has been in the market since sometime for the recovery and conversion of OST file data items into PST, EML and MSG format. The reason why OST file is not the output of the recovery tool is that even if healthy it cannot be opened without Exchange account; while PST file can be opened easily in Outlook mail program and EML in mail clients like Windows Live Mail, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, etc.
Features That Make OST Recovery Tool Outstanding
- Retrieves all emails, calendars, contacts, tasks, notes and journal.
- Recovers even permanently deleted (Shift deleted) data items.
- ‘Advance Scan’ check box to fight back major corruption issues.
- ‘Preview’ of all stored data items be it mails, contact details, calendar items, etc.
- ‘Mail Filters’ by Date Range to export selected items files or folders.
- ‘Split PST’ option to divide large sized Outlook data file in small parts.
- ‘Naming convention’ for organized storage of mails in EML and MSG format.
- Outlook client version 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 (32 & 64 bit) is supported.
Tool’s specification – Here, in the working section of the review, demo version has been executed for attaining OST file recovery.
OST file specification:
- The name of the OST file is outlook3.ost
- There are no items in Notes and Journal
Once the .exe file of the OST Recovery is downloaded and installed the tool gets ready to recover and convert a damaged OST file into any one of the three available file formats. Be it Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes or Journals; the utility follows four chief steps to retrieve the data items and they are Open, Scan, Preview and Export.
- Open – This is the first step in retrieval of OST file by the recovery tool and is accomplished by the Add File option as shown in the screenshot below. The tab is located at the top left of the interface and when clicked a small window pops up wanting the OST file to be added.
- By clicking on the Browse tab in the small window, the corrupt .ost file must selected and once chosen the path is displayed next to the Select File
- The second thing that should be performed in the Select Path window is to click on Add File button located on it.
In this way the damaged OST file containing data items g
ets opened and the next step of ‘scanning’ begins.
Note – If the OST file is severely corrupted then the check box Advance Scan must be checked and then the Add File tab of Select Path window should be clicked upon. The screenshot with Advance Scan check box checked is shown below.
- Scan – This is the second step of the recovery operation with OST Recovery application. Once the addition of .ost file get over as mentioned above in the explanation of first step scanning starts. The software starts scanning the opened file and all its stored data items from Mail, Contacts, Calendar and rest of the categories as displayed in the figure below.
When scanning gets completed a small window pops up with the message ‘Scanning completed successfully’ shown in the figure below. Thereafter, the tab OK should be clicked upon.
Moreover, once scanning is over all the data items belonging to different categories gets displayed in the Folder List located at the left of the tool’s GUI as shown in the screenshot pasted below. The folder list displays the item count belonging to each of the categories that the .ost file contains.
- Preview – This is the third major step where the data items stored in the OST file can be previewed before actual exportation.
- Mail Preview – To obtain the preview of emails the Mail tab should be clicked upon as shown in the figure below. On doing this the preview of all emails get displayed; however, with the demo version whose working is shown here only 25 emails per folder can be exported. To export all the mails full release is needed.
- Calendar Preview – To preview calendar items the Calendar category should be clicked upon. The figure below shows the preview of calendar items with details such as Subject, Location, Start time, End Time & Categories. Also, if any attachment is present its preview can also be achieved. The interface gets divided into three sections. On the left is displayed the item count of Calendar category. At the top, in the right portion of the interface all the calendar items are shown whereas at the bottom the details of the selected calendar item is shown.
- Contacts Preview – Similarly, to preview the recovered contact details the Contacts tab must be selected. On doing this the item count of Contacts get displayed in the left side of the interface. On the right side at the top all contacts are shown whereas on selecting any particular contact, its details can be seen in the bottom portion of the interface.
- Tasks Preview – In the same way for previewing the tasks, the Tasks tab should be clicked. When it is done so the window gets divided in three sections as explained above for Contacts and details like Task Subject, Status, Due Date, etc. gets displayed as shown in the figure below.
Note – The same process applies for previewing ‘Notes’ and ‘Journal’ items too. But as the OST file added here does not contain any item of these two categories their preview cannot be obtained. On clicking upon these two tabs, an empty interface is displayed.
- Export & Save – This is the last step in the recovery process of corrupted OST file by the recovery utility. All or any required item from any of the categories can be selected and exported in PST, EML & MSG format by clicking on the Export button located at the top-left of the recovery interface. Once clicked upon, a small window of Export Options appears as shown in the figure below. The file format can be selected by checking the appropriate check box located beside each type.
- If MS Outlook PST file is selected; then the option to filter emails, divide PST file and also to select destination location is provided.
- If EML or MSG format is chosen an additional feature to apply naming convention for emails is provided.
Once the required fields are filled up the tab Export on the Export Options window should be clicked. In this way, the file chosen gets saved at the provided destination location. Finally, in this way the OST file retrieval gets accomplished by the OST Recovery utility without fail.
Finally the Tool’s Overview
From the working of the tool it has been found that OST Recovery Software is a reliable and efficient software application. It maintains Meta data of the extracted emails as well as preserves files/ folders hierarchy. Moreover, it does not exhibit any drawback except that the system becomes a bit slow on its execution.